If you would like to break out of your culinary routine, then this somewhat unusual recipe for angel hair is just right for you! Angel hair is also ideal for decorating starters. Or of main courses, because it creates a sweet contrast to hearty recipes.
Eggs are one of the most common ingredients in the food service world. This is especially true for the desserts. You can find eggs in all sorts of shapes: boiled, beaten, poached, and even seared. But have you ever heard of a “spun” egg recipe? In “ angel hair ” there are actually eggs in the form of threads!
These spun egg threads are a very nice preparation to look at: They look like fine, yellow angel hair (this is because only the egg yolk and sugar are used).
This recipe is originally from Portugal. It is generally used as a decorative element for dishes that are served at a buffet: different appetizers, small portions of meat, sausages and fish.
The contrast between the sweet egg strings and the savory taste of the other dishes that angel hair decorates is what made this recipe so popular. Who would have thought that eggs could be made into threads?
What’s good in an egg?
Health and nutrition specialists also recommend the egg as a food. Because it is not only rich in protein, but also contains many important nutrients. In addition, eggs contain:
- Vitamins A, B2, B5, B12, D and E.
- Healthy fats
- Minerals like selenium, zinc, phosphorus, calcium and iron
- healthy calories
Eggs also have a high choline content. Choline is a very important nutrient for improving brain functions. It is also used to prevent cardiovascular diseases. And it helps in weight loss as well as in controlling the level of LDL cholesterol in the blood (if taken in a controlled manner). In addition, choline improves eyesight and reduces triglycerides.
You can already see: eggs are actually perfect for almost all preparations! For these and many other reasons, we will show you below how the unusual recipe for angel hair works. So you can give your dishes a creative touch! And you will see: you can really surprise your guests with this!
Angel hair recipe
Note one more thing: This recipe is made from eggs, a healthy food. But at the same time you use a pretty large amount of sugar for it. To make things a little easier, you can replace these with natural sweeteners.
The highlight of this preparation is on the one hand the syrup. You have to prepare this with the sugar and some water. And on the other hand, you need a special funnel for angel hair. But don’t panic: if you don’t have one, you can also use a normal syringe or other utensils. You use it to make the egg threads as if they were spaghetti – or angel hair!
Ingredients for angel hair
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup of sugar (200 g)
- One cup of water (250 ml)
- 1 angel hair funnel, a syringe or something similar
- ½ cup of very cold water (125 ml)
- Absorbent paper, e.g. kitchen paper
This dish is made as a starter. And it suits every season. Here we will show you step by step how to prepare the delicious angel hair:
- First, you need to separate the yolks from the whites.
- Then you bring the water with the sugar to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan. Keep stirring as you do this. Until the liquid has reached a very thick consistency. This is your syrup.
- Be careful with the previous step. Because if you let the syrup cook too long or too hot, there is a risk that it will burn. So prepare it on the lowest possible heat.
- Now take the well mixed egg yolk and pour it into the funnel (or into the syringe). Then you let the threads fall into the syrup through the opening.
- You have to repeat this process several times. Because if the portions are too large, the egg threads stick together.
- After you’ve put the threads in the syrup, wait a moment for them to harden. Then it is best to take the angel hair out of the pot with the help of a slotted spoon. And immediately afterwards you put it in the bowl with the cold water.
- This helps keep the egg strings stuck and prevents them from sticking together.
- Then repeat the process with the rest of the egg yolk.
- Finally, put the angel hair on absorbent paper. This is how you can remove excess water and syrup from the threads.
- Now you can serve the angel hair with some fish or meat. Bon appetit with this original and delicious recipe for angel hair!