The first papaya trees were discovered in 1541 by the Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto when he sent samples of the plant during an excursion in the Mississippi Valley.
Have you ever said “An apple a day, keeps the doctor away.” belongs? In Spain there is a similar saying: “One papaya a day, keeps the doctor away.” But how much truth is there actually behind this saying? Then learn more about the benefits of papaya.
This exotic fruit is delicious and its nutritious properties are known all over the world. The enzyme papain contained in the fruit is particularly valued by many people.
What can papain do?
During digestion, the food is processed into a food pulp together with the saliva. This pulp is then transported further into the stomach. There the enzyme pepsin contained in gastric juice breaks down the proteins in the food so that they can be absorbed by the small intestine.
Next, let the papain shine. Because it ensures that the proteins are broken down and it neutralizes the stomach acid.
The properties of papain
- It’s a powerful digestive and anti-inflammatory.
- Papain can relieve pain.
- It has an antiseptic effect.
- Papain can have a detoxifying and laxative effect.
- It cleanses the lining of the digestive tract.
- Papain eliminates intestinal amoeba.
- It is high in potassium and low in sodium. That is why it is ideal for people with high blood pressure and heart problems.
The nutrients in papaya
- Papain: Similar to pepsin, this enzyme helps the body digest proteins. It also stimulates digestion and has an anti-inflammatory effect.
- Carpaine: This alkaloid enables meat and other solid foods to be digested. It can also have a positive effect on palpitations and heart failure.
There are around 50 different types of fruit worldwide. They are broadly categorized as follows:
- Golden papaya: This small papay fruit weighs between 400 and 600 grams.
- Hawaiian papaya: A pear-shaped fruit that tastes sweeter than other types.
- Formosa papaya: The size of this fruit can vary widely. Their shape is more cylindrical and their flesh is reddish in color.
Benefits of papaya
In addition to papain, papayas are rich in vitamins A, B, C and E as well as magnesium and potassium – substances that are all excellent for our health!
Members further information we would like you a few more benefits of papaya imagine
1. Papaya helps in weight management
Papain helps with the processing of fats, proteins and carbohydrates. Compared to the enzyme pepsin, papain is even more effective.
2. Papaya is great for diabetics
The juice from the fruit can help regulate blood sugar levels. It can also promote the regeneration of beta cells and increase insulin synthesis. The green variant in particular is very effective here.
3. Papaya improves digestion
Papain, phytonutrients and other enzymes improve the digestive process. This means your body is better able to excrete toxins.
4. Papaya helps relieve constipation
In addition to all the other benefits that we have already presented, the papaya fruit is also rich in fiber. They absorb water in the body and give the stool the right consistency.
They also have a cleansing effect on your stomach and thus facilitate the removal of unnecessary substances that would otherwise remain in the intestines.
5. Papaya supports wound healing
When it comes to the health of the skin, the proteases contained in papaya must not be forgotten, as they stimulate the healing of wounds in the skin. But the other nutrients also have a positive influence on the health of your skin.
6. Papaya improves milk production in breastfeeding mothers
Papain can stimulate the functioning of the endocrine glands, thereby improving milk production in breastfeeding mothers.
7. Papaya helps relieve menstrual pain
Consumption of this exotic fruit increases oxytocin and prostaglandin levels in women. This causes the muscles of the womb to contract slightly, which can relieve the pain.
- Reach for a ripe papaya when shopping, because the ripe fruit contains most of the nutrients.
- Papayas taste better chilled.
- If you want to eat other fruits at the same time as the papaya, you should choose sweet fruits such as bananas. Acid citrus fruits can change the acidity ratio in the stomach.
- Last but not least, papayas are also excellent as juice or as an addition to flavored water.
You too can use the benefits of papaya to take care of your health!