Not all aromatic herbs are equally suitable for freezing with olive oil. Chamomile, for example, is not recommended for this.
Fresh herbs can be used in many ways in the kitchen. In addition to the medicinal properties, there is their incomparable taste, which refines and spices many dishes.
However, the problem is often how best to store fresh herbs .
Those who do not grow and buy herbs such as thyme, mint, rosemary and basil themselves cannot store them for very long.
Today we recommend you a great idea to be able to use the herbs for a long time without losing their valuable properties.
You can simply freeze them in olive oil and then use them to prepare your food when needed.
Then you will learn more about the advantages of this type of storage. It can be very useful every day.
Do the fresh herbs lose their valuable properties through freezing?
The best of all are always fresh herbs, of course, but there are also ways to preserve them without losing their positive properties.
- You can use dried herbs (oregano and basil …)
- Essential oils from these herbs are also an excellent option.
- In addition, it is recommended to combine the herbs with olive oil in order to potentiate their properties.
Freezing does not change the benefits of the herbs.
Can you freeze olive oil?
Many have probably asked themselves this question as well. Yes, olive oil can be frozen without changing its positive properties.
- However, it is important to know that the olive oil must be consumed on the same day after thawing.
- You cannot store it for several days afterwards and you cannot freeze it again.
Olive oil consists mainly of oleic acid, which thickens at a temperature of 4ºC.
- From 0ºC the oil solidifies.
- This natural process is not associated with any risks.
- Freezing does not change the composition of the oil, omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants are not affected.
Benefits of Freezing Herbs with Olive Oil
This process is simple, healthy, and convenient to preserve all of the properties of the oil and aromatic herbs.
If you’re still not convinced, then read about what this trick can do for your health:
- It is a natural remedy for weight loss. The healthy essential oils have a filling effect and promote digestion.
- Olive oil with rosemary has anti-inflammatory properties. It is therefore very helpful in the case of arthritis-related pain, for example.
- Olive oil in combination with sage is highly recommended for menstrual pain.
- If you combine the oil with herbs such as basil, thyme or rosemary, you can use it to strengthen your immune system.
- If you have indigestion, gas, or over-acidity, olive oil with a little mint can help. The result is excellent and very pleasant on the palate.
How to freeze olive oil with herbs
Choose fresh herbs first. Not all are suitable, for example chamomile or dandelion should not be used.
“Resistant” herbs that are high in antioxidants work best. For example, we recommend the following:
You also need:
- Ice cube mold
- extra virgin olive oil (enough to fill the ice cube mold)
- transparent kitchen foil
- Once you have chosen the fresh herbs , they are washed and cut into small pieces. They should fit in an ice cube tray.
- Then pour into the ice cube tray and cover with extra virgin olive oil.
- Then you can cover the container with plastic wrap and store it in the freezer.
The next day the spice and oil cubes are ready. You can then use them for many dishes: in soups, stews, purees and as a spread for breakfast.
Try it yourself!