The benefits of the Mediterranean diet have been scientifically confirmed in various studies. Find out today why she is so healthy. We have 10 reasons that will convince you too.
The Mediterranean diet is versatile and very healthy. Not only if you want to lose weight, we can recommend this form of nutrition to you. But what is so special about it? Today we invite you to find out more about the various benefits of this diet.
It is not just a set of diet recommendations, but rather a balanced, healthy lifestyle that we can consider the cultural heritage of Mediterranean peoples.
On November 16, 2010, the Mediterranean diet of Spain, Greece, Italy and Morocco was jointly recognized by UNESCO as an intangible cultural heritage.
What foods does the Mediterranean diet include?
The Mediterranean diet is very versatile, but is based on the famous food pyramid, which is the basis of the daily diet. Certain foods are incorporated into the nutrition plan daily, once a week or only occasionally.
Foods that should be eaten daily in the Mediterranean diet
- Grains: Pasta, rice and bread should not be missing in the Mediterranean diet. Experts recommend around 30 g of bread daily, between 60 and 90 g of pasta or rice daily.
- Fruit and vegetables: The food pyramid recommends 5 pieces of fruit and vegetables a day (alternating), which corresponds to around 120 to 180 g of fruit and between 140 and 200 g of vegetables.
- 1.5 liters of water daily
- A glass of milk or two yogurts every day
- One tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil on an empty stomach
- Raw onion and garlic (for example in salads)
Mediterranean diet foods that should be on the menu every week
- Lean meat
- Red meat: one serving per week is recommended
- Eggs: two to four pieces a week
- Legumes and potatoes: three times a week
Food that can be eaten from time to time
- sugared juices and soft drinks
10 reasons that will convince you of the Mediterranean diet
1. From a scientific point of view, the Mediterranean diet is considered to be the best form of nutrition in the world
There is currently a body of scientific evidence that the Mediterranean diet is very beneficial for health. This form of nutrition has been researched scientifically for a long time, especially because it plays a therapeutic role in various chronic inflammatory diseases, for example in metabolic syndrome, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, cancer and others
2. Promotes good cholesterol levels
Studies by the Centro de Investigación Biomédica en Red Fisiopatología de la Obesidad y la Nutrición (CIBEROBN) and the Instituto Hospital del Mar de Investigaciones Médicas (IMIM) show that the Mediterranean diet helps remove those particles that transport good cholesterol (which prevents clogging of the arteries) to help them function properly.
3. The Mediterranean diet prevents cardiovascular diseases
Various studies indicate that people in Mediterranean countries have fewer cardiovascular diseases, which is due to the nutrients contained in this type of diet.
4. Lower risk of breast cancer, heart attack and stroke
The Predimed study, led by Miguel Ángel Martínez-González, professor of public health at the University of Navarra and visiting professor at Harvard since June, has shown that in countries where the Mediterranean diet is dominant, the risk of circulatory problems decreases 66% lower. The risk of heart attacks and strokes is reduced by 30% and the risk of breast cancer by 68%.
5. Mediterranean diet against severe depression
A scientific team from the University of Deakin, Australia, carried out various studies that found that Mediterranean cuisine helps with severe depression.
6. Mediterranean diet for a longer life
People who follow a Mediterranean diet live longer on average because the aging process is slowed down. This is due to the antioxidants and high quality nutrients found in this diet.
7. Helps with overweight and obesity
Mediterranean cuisine contains little, but healthy fat. Olive oil is the star of this diet and it is far healthier than butter or other animal and vegetable fats. It is therefore a great way to fight overweight or obesity.
8. Mediterranean diet against cognitive decline
Green leafy vegetables provide important antioxidants that counteract cell breakdown. Those who eat at least one serving a day can delay the age-related cognitive decline. This is evident from a study published in the journal Neurology.
9. Achieve ideal weight through the Mediterranean diet
Mediterranean cuisine is very versatile and contains relatively few calories. In combination with enough exercise, you can achieve your ideal weight. This way you can prevent a wide variety of diseases at the same time and keep yourself fit.
10. With the Mediterranean diet you also protect the environment!
The basics of the Mediterranean diet include fresh, seasonal foods. So if you buy fresh and regional, you are also doing good for the environment.
Did we inspire you with these 10 reasons for the Mediterranean diet? Not only is it healthy, it also tastes great and is very versatile. Benefit from all the advantages that this form of nutrition offers you. It contains a lot of fruits and vegetables that can be prepared in a variety of ways. Enjoy Mediterranean dishes!