A balanced diet is always the key to ensuring that our organism functions optimally. However, we can also use some homemade antacids that have ingredients that help prevent gastroesophageal reflux.
Gastroesophageal reflux (acid regurgitation) is a condition that can make you feel desperate. That’s why in today’s article we’d like to tell you about various homemade antacids (home remedies that bind stomach acid) that can relieve symptoms.
Reflux is often caused by a malfunction of the muscle at the end of the esophagus. Food flows through this channel that connects the mouth and esophagus until it finally meets the acids that are in the stomach. This is where the actual digestive process begins, where the nutrients are absorbed by the body. Unfortunately, these acids get into the esophagus when the muscle is not working properly. There they subsequently trigger pain and irritation.
This disease has some common symptoms that should be urgently observed and treated in good time:
- Loss of appetite
- Chest pain
- Sore throat
- Difficulty breathing
Aside from a malfunction of the muscle at the end of the esophagus, this problem is mostly caused by certain foods. This includes:
- Hot spices: These products stimulate acidity and acidic burping. If you don’t take care of this problem and keep ignoring it, you can develop chronic inflammation of the stomach lining.
- Coffee: The problem here is the caffeine. It stimulates acid regurgitation and the production of stomach acid.
- Alcoholic beverages: They relax the esophageal sphincters. So it happens that stomach acid gets into the esophagus and causes damage there.
- Chocolate: Due to its high content of fats, caffeine and theobromine, chocolate stimulates the production of stomach acid.
- Fatty foods: These irritate the lining of the stomach and affect the functioning of the esophageal sphincter. This leads to increased stomach acid.
- Acids: lower the pH of the stomach, which can lead to increased acidity and acidic regurgitation.
Illnesses are mostly related to diet. A healthy diet high in fruits, vegetables, legumes and fiber is therefore always the best option for a healthy body.
4 natural antacids for gastroesophageal reflux
Below we are going to give you the easiest and best recipes for antacids to help you say goodbye to acid regurgitation in the long run.
1. Potato juice
The juice of raw potatoes alkalizes the stomach acid perfectly. Its taste and consistency may surprise us a little, but its effect will quickly convince us.
- 3 spoons of grated potatoes (45 g)
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- First boil the grated potato in a cup of water, then let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Then puree the ingredients with a hand blender.
- Drink this natural remedy every time you suffer from acid regurgitation.
2. Water with lemon
It is a sour fruit, but when lemons get into our stomachs, they are able to neutralize excess acids.
- One cup of water (250 ml)
- 6 spoons of lemon juice (90 ml)
- Bring the water to boiling point first. Add the lemon juice after taking the saucepan off the stove.
- Then drink the mixture while it’s still warm.
3. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a natural antacid that is commonly used to relieve heartburn, stomach pressure, and hyperacidity.
- 1 cup of water (250 ml)
- 2 spoons of apple cider vinegar (30 ml)
- It is always advisable to boil the water first to kill all germs it contains.
- Once it has cooled, you can add the apple cider vinegar.
- Then mix the two ingredients thoroughly and drink them 30 minutes before your next meal.
4. Banana juice
Bananas stimulate the production of mucus, which protects the stomach walls from acid . This is because this fruit contains a lot of potassium. This is an alkalizing mineral that increases the pH of our stomach.
- 4 cups of water (1 liter)
- 4 bananas
- First peel the fruit and then use a hand blender to puree the two ingredients until you get an even mixture.
- It’s best to drink this mixture throughout the day.