Excessive exposure to the sun is harmful to your hair. We therefore recommend 5 natural treatments with which you can care for and protect your hair in summer.
Not only the skin but also the hair suffers from long exposure to the sun. This may not be immediately apparent, but over time, the sun can lead to dryness, brittle hair, and hair loss. We therefore recommend various natural treatments today to protect your hair from the sun.
The combination of the natural ingredients in these treatments provides your hair with moisture and nutrients. In addition, these home remedies protect against harmful UV radiation and other environmental factors. Read on if you want to naturally condition your hair.
Natural treatments to protect your hair from the sun
Sun damaged hair is usually not as obvious as the damage UV radiation leaves on the skin. As long as exposure to the sun is limited, it usually does not have serious consequences for the hair. But long stays outdoors and swimming pool visits in summer damage the hair and make it brittle and dull.
The sun dries out the hair, changes the cuticle (outermost cuticle) and also affects the natural oils, which negatively affects the appearance. But how can you protect your hair naturally from the sun? Find out more about this topic today.
1. Argan oil for protection from the sun
While there isn’t much scientific literature on the effects of argan oil on hair, it is one of the most popular ways to care for and nourish damaged hair. Argan oil contains healthy fatty acids that penetrate the follicles and improve the vitality of the hair.
- 3 tablespoons of argan oil (45 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil (30 ml)
- Mix the two ingredients together and heat them gently until the oil mixture is a comfortable temperature.
- Divide the hair into several sections, then apply the oil mixture.
- Let this home remedy work for 20 minutes and then wash your hair as usual.
- Use this regimen at least three times a week.
2. Avocado to protect hair from the sun
Avocados are high in fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and proteins and therefore have many hair health benefits. Not only do they work against sun damage, but they also reduce the harmful effects of chemicals and heat treatments.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 vitamin E capsule
- Halve the avocado and mash the pulp with a fork.
- Then mix it with the contents of the vitamin E capsule.
- Wet your hair and divide it into sections.
- Then spread the treatment over the hair from roots to ends and let it work for 20 minutes.
- Then rinse your hair and repeat the treatment two to three times a week.
3. Egg with honey to protect the hair from the sun
The proteins of the chicken eggs combined with the moisturizing properties of the honey are excellent for protecting the hair from the sun. This treatment is particularly recommended on very hot days in summer. You should definitely try them out!
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of honey (30 g)
- Whisk the whole egg, then mix it with the honey.
- Apply this mask to dry hair.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes and then rinse it off.
- Take care of your hair with this mask twice a week.
4. Milk and rose oil
Do you suffer from dry, brittle hair? Then this recipe is just right. It nourishes and protects your hair from UV rays at the same time. Use the combination of milk and rose oil regularly to bring your hair back to shine.
- 1 cup of milk (250 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of rose oil (15 ml)
- Mix both ingredients well.
- Spray this conditioning regimen on the scalp and the entire length of the hair.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes and then rinse it off again.
- Repeat this application three times a week.
5. Aloe vera and yeast
Aloe vera gel is one of the best natural home remedies. If you combine it with a little yeast, you get an excellent care mask. You can use it to care for your sun and environmentally damaged hair.
- 3 tablespoons of aloe gel (60 g)
- 1 teaspoon of yeast powder (7 g)
- Cut open an aloe leaf to remove the gel.
- Then mix it with the yeast powder.
- Wet your hair first, then apply the home remedy to your scalp and hair with a gentle massage.
- Use this regimen two to three times a week.
Your hair needs special care in the warm summer days because you are often in the sun? Then do not doubt to try these care masks. You will see the difference, but you will need to groom your hair regularly!