Treatment depends on the injury and the pain caused. Sports injuries often require surgery, and a sprain or stroke can also be treated with alternative natural remedies.
Knee pain is most commonly associated with advanced age, but this is not always the case. Everyone, regardless of age, can suffer from knee pain. If these are not treated in a timely manner, they can become chronic. You should therefore take these complaints seriously!
In some cases knee surgery is necessary, but before that happens, there are several alternatives you should try. You will then find various natural treatment options to relieve knee pain.
How does knee pain arise?
The knee is a very complex joint that connects the shin, kneecap and femur. The interaction of bones, cartilage, tendons, ligaments and muscles enables different movements.
It is the largest joint in the human body.
The knee joints carry a lot of weight every day and are heavily stressed. This can easily lead to injury or inflammation.
In many cases, various therapies or natural remedies can alleviate the pain. However, in some cases, surgery is required.
An operation is necessary in the following situations:
- Sports injuries: Sudden or violent turns or stretches can tear tendons or ligaments. Arthroscopic surgery allows patients to recover within two weeks.
- Broken bones, dislocations or injuries can lead to cracks. They are usually treated with osteosynthesis. There is no permanent damage to simple fractures.
- Arthritis or osteoarthritis: These diseases occur as a result of injuries, malformations, or age-related wear and tear. This often leads to bow legs (genu varum) or knock knees (genu valgum). This knee problem is determined by x-rays and treated arthroscopically.
- Articular cartilage damage: Injuries in the cartilage-bone area that are very difficult to diagnose.
- Bone tumors: very rare.
The use of alternative treatments can be useful in the following situations
- Shock injuries and trauma (direct or indirect)
- Arthritis or acute inflammation of the knee: The causes can be varied (misalignment, wear and tear, rheumatic diseases, infections …).
- Tendon inflammation: inflammation of the tendon due to the use of unsuitable shoes, repetition of incorrect movements or poor posture.
- Sprain, overstretching of a ligament due to sudden movement (fall, blow, or sharp twist). In this case, the joint is immobilized.
- Bursitis: Inflammation of the bursitis pockets of the knee, usually from destruction or abrasion. This is where anti-inflammatory agents, relaxation and pressure bandages help.
- Baker’s cyst: protrusion of the dorsal joint capsule of the knee joint. The inflammation can lead to discomfort, pain and restricted mobility.
- Osgood-Schlatter disease: inflammation of the front and back of the knee.
As soon as the exact causes are established, treatment can begin.
You will then find various alternative treatments to relieve knee pain. With it you can improve your quality of life at the same time.
Natural Treatment for Knee Pain
More and more doctors are choosing alternative treatments before surgery is performed. The following remedies can be very useful in relieving knee pain.
1. Cold compresses
This treatment is very helpful for minor sprains or torn ligaments. To treat the inflammation, a cold compress is applied for 30 minutes, twice or three times a day.
You can also just wrap ice cubes in a cloth and place them on the painful area.
This method is particularly recommended in the first 48 hours after the injury.
2. Warm compresses
Using warm compresses relieves pain and stiffness in diseases such as arthritis.
You can use a heating pad or heat an herbal pillow in the microwave and place it on the painful area.
3. Cold and warm
Alternating heat and cold treatments are also very helpful. You can use it to stimulate blood circulation and relieve pain.
Sage can be used to treat inflammation or shock injury. Make a herbal poultice out of this and place it on the painful area for ten minutes.
5. Therapeutic exercises and stretching
Stretching and therapeutic exercises help relieve the strain on the knee. Find out from an expert which exercises are best for you! Yoga and tai chi can be good alternatives.
Repeated massages of the affected areas strengthen the muscles and relax.
- Acupuncture works great against pain! The needles are placed in specific locations to restore the patient’s health and wellbeing. You can use it to improve your quality of life!
8. Various therapies and aids
Various therapies can be very effective. These include, for example: electrotherapy, ultrasound therapy, contact hyperthermia, thermotherapy and mechanotherapy.
Get advice from your doctor or physiotherapist!
9. Aloe vera
It is worth having a real aloe at home. Because this plant is very versatile! You can also use it to relieve knee pain from osteoarthritis.
Simply cut open an aloe leaf and remove the gel. Process it together with an orange peel in a stand mixer or blender. Then mix with a small cup of honey and a small amount of red clay.
Use it to make an envelope for your sore knee. After 30 minutes of action, you can wash the paste off with cold water.
The avocado is well known for its health benefits. In this case, however, we are using the avocado seed. Let it dry, then grind it until you get a fine powder.
Mix this powder with honey and a creamy paste and apply it to the painful areas. This home remedy is very effective!
11. Guava against inflammation
A guava contains three times as much vitamin C as an orange and is generally a very healthy and nutritious food.
To relieve pain in your joints, cut four ripe guavas and scald them with boiling water. Let the fruit steep for three hours. Then strain and drink the drink.
You can drink this home remedy as a cure for 15 to 90 days. You will get excellent results with it!
12. Lemon magic
The lemon is very versatile and can also be useful for knee pain. Simply cut a lemon in half and rub it on the painful area. This can alleviate the inflammation. You can also treat rheumatic pain this way.
After the treatment, however, you must not go into the sun, as the lemon can cause spots on the skin when exposed to the sun.
There should be no lack of proteins, vitamins and minerals in your diet to keep your joints healthy and flexible.
You should include the following foods in your eating plan on a regular basis:
- Calcium-rich foods: almonds, walnuts, milk
- A clove of garlic on an empty stomach for strong bones
- Two spoons of aloe gel every morning to reduce joint pain
When is a doctor’s visit necessary?
Natural treatments can be very effective, but proper diagnosis and medical treatment are essential to prevent further discomfort and maintain quality of life!
Be sure to consult a doctor in the following cases:
- When the knee can’t be loaded
- severe pain is present even without stress,
- the knee cannot move properly or it cracks,
- the joint is deformed or severely inflamed, reddened or warm,
- Pain, swelling, numbness, tingling or bluish discoloration of the affected knee
- the pain is still there after three days of self-treatment.
Tips for prevention against knee pain
Finally, a few useful tips for prevention:
- If you have to sit or stand for a long time, you should keep changing your position. Get up briefly and move around at least every hour.
- Light and gentle stretching exercises can be very helpful. Your joints need exercise. You can walk for half an hour every day, do yoga, or do tai chi exercises.
- Don’t kneel on the floor. This is because the knee joints are particularly stressed.
- Use low-heeled shoes. High heels increase the pressure on the knees.
- If you are overweight, you should lose weight! In this way, you can prevent overloading the knee joints and enjoy other health benefits as well.