Thanks to their essential oils and the active ingredients they contain, onions are an excellent home remedy with which you can effectively treat ear infections.
Ear infections are particularly common in the middle or inner ear. In today’s article, we’re going to explain how you can effectively treat and relieve symptoms with onions.
What exactly are ear infections?
Ear infections cause painful sores in your ears. In very many cases, they arise in the middle ear due to an inflammation of your eardrum.
Causes of Ear Infections
Children often suffer from ear infections because their ear trumpets, also known as eustachian tubes, are not yet fully developed. This makes them more prone to blockages.
The ear trumpets ensure the drainage of fluid in the eardrum. Most of the time , this fluid builds up as a result of sudden changes in climate or sharp temperature fluctuations.
When your ear trumpets become blocked, it often results in an infection.
Other causes of ear infections can include:
- Abrupt weather and climate changes
- Cigarette smoke
Although ear infections are not inherently contagious, you can still prevent them. Since they are often caused by the common cold, it is advisable that you give your and your family’s immune systems enough strength. Because a cold spreads very quickly and easily, especially among children. And that often leads to ear infections.
Onions are a vegetable that practically no kitchen is missing. For centuries, onions have been used not only for cooking, but also for many medicinal applications.
Surely you also appreciate their typical taste and their many health benefits. Onions are an essential part of any balanced diet.
This vegetable originally comes from Asia. However, the onion has long since spread all over the world. Since it can be used in so many ways and is at home in almost every kitchen in the world, you can buy it anywhere inexpensively.
Onions contain a lot of vitamins such as vitamins C and B6. They also provide you with important minerals such as iron and potassium.
Thanks to these valuable ingredients , they strengthen your immune system. You can also use onions to fight allergies and effectively treat inflammation. At the same time, they support your body very effectively in breaking down and removing toxins.
What properties of onions are effective against ear infections?
Basically, onions are an indispensable source of nutrients for you. As we mentioned earlier, they boost your immune system.
Since your immune system ensures that your defenses in the body are strong, you can effectively prevent diseases. In addition, onions do not contain sugar. This also makes them ideal for preventing diabetes.
Onions also help your body regulate your blood sugar levels. They also fight harmful bacteria and other microorganisms that could otherwise affect your digestion.
How exactly do you use the onions?
We recommend making onion soup as soon as you notice the first symptoms of an ear infection.
Note: Be careful not to overeat onions. Otherwise, you could get uncomfortable symptoms such as gas or bad breath.
Onions for ear infections
As we mentioned earlier, onions have medicinal properties that help reduce inflammation and reduce symptoms of ear infections. We therefore recommend that you consume onions as a tried and tested natural remedy if you suffer from an ear infection.
Below you will find some treatment options that you can perform cheaply and easily at home.
1. Onion ear plugs
You can easily prepare and use this treatment yourself at home if you suffer from an ear infection.
Preparation and application
- First, you cut an onion into small pieces.
- Then carefully insert a few pieces of onion into the inflamed ear. The best time to do this is right before bed. Leave the onion in your ear overnight to allow the best possible effect.
2. Onion compresses
- 1 onion
- For the compress: a piece of cotton or some other suitable material
Preparation and use
- First you heat the whole onion in the oven at 180ºC. Leave it there for 15 minutes. Alternatively, you can heat them on the stove for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Then cut the onion in half.
- Now you put the two halves of the onion in the juicer and extract the juice.
- Now you dip the cotton cloth in the onion juice. Make sure the fabric soaks up well with the juice.
- Once the compress has reached a comfortable temperature, place it on the inflamed ear.
- If you don’t want to use a compress, you can also pour the onion juice into a small pipette bottle. Before going to bed, simply put 2 drops of the juice into your inflamed ear.
In any case, make sure that the onion juice isn’t too hot. Otherwise, you could burn your ear.